Sports from the point view from the guy that holds the clipboard for the guy that holds the clipboard.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Steroids Hall of Fame: Alex Rodriguez

Honestly, whoever is in charge must really like this series, because I have been given this wonderful gift. I was so thankful when I saw the news.




Let us begin with a very relevant period in A-rod's story. The winter of '03/'04. The infamous Manny for A-Rod trade. Two times already have I thanked the arrogant and illegal actions of the Players Association for blocking that trade. Now I must thank them a third time. It is truly amazing how time affects our perspective.

Then we move forward to the end of the '07 season, when Barry Bonds career came to an abrupt end. Everyone help up A-Rod as a beacon of hope to take back the Home Run title and restore some honor and dignity to the game.

Finally we remember a few weeks later to the '07 WS, when A-Rod tried to steal the thunder of the Red Sox second WS title in 4 years. When his ego swelled to the size of Manhattan. And Hank Steinbrenner came to his "rescue".

Everything falls so neatly into place.  Life is hardly ever this clean, this neat, and this so well defined.  It is almost too good to be true.  Almost.


Once again we must all thank all the gods of all the sports for Jose Canseco!

I could go on and on about how happy this all makes me. And how thankful I am. And how much Karma has been paid. The poor bastard even lost hold of his 50 year old waaaaaay past her prime Madonna.


Now we move onto the business at hand: Erasing Gay-Roid's reservation to Cooperstown. Now the man already has a nickname: Gay-Rod, so we shall mash-it-up with the obvious A-Roid.

Excuse of choice: The classic, yet cliche  "It wasn't illegal yet!" Somehow it is fitting that this boring man of little to no personality would choose to use the lamest and least original of all excuses.

Drug of Choice: From the SI article:
Primobolan, which is also known by the chemical name methenolone, is an injected or orally administered drug that is more expensive than most steroids. (A 12-week cycle can cost $500.) It improves strength and maintains lean muscle with minimal bulk development, according to steroid experts, and has relatively few side effects.

Wikipedia page about this drug.

Cultural impact:  For this I shall use my google reader as a demonstration.  Within 12 hours my reader was bombarded with this story.

Super Punch
Awful Announcing
Surviving Grady
Cheat or Beat

Long Term Impact:  This is the line right here folks.  Will people forgive A-rod?  Will he get the pass that McGwire, Bonds, Sosa, and Palmeiro did not?  I think he very well may be the first steroid user to make it to Cooperstown.  As much as that hurts to type.  Time will tell, but we will get hints by how the media plays the story this season.  If the press is kind and if the fans are kind (especially on the road!) then he will break that barrier and Bonds will have every reason to be pissed.

Someone loves me, and that person also loves baseball. Thank you Baseball gods. You have been so very kind to me these past couple of months.

As you can tell, I have yet to write about some very obvious people, plus other recent news has given me fodder that even further deepens the pool I'm drawing from.  So I should be back on my weekly schedule.    It goes: Baseball, other sport, Football, other sport.  Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Contributors